Friday, July 25, 2008

Motherhood is Messy

I have been pondering this thought for some time now...which is precisely why I am nursing while typing this...

- and it hits me

- when we're in Chick-Fil-A, nursing again and my Wyatt is getting down from his chair, instead of eating the last chicken nugget of which I told him "he must eat if he would like to play on the playground", fully taking advantage of my inability to physically sit him down.

and then it hits me again when we're at the pool, and my Wyatt has something brown running down his leg, yes, the liquid form of #2,the Big D, a swim diaper, and i have no other spare diapers, only the one he is in and no change of clothes.

i think this wonderful thought again when my little Walker is crying, hungry, needing some attention from mommy and my Wyatt is throwing himself on the floor, crying because I mention the word bedtime.

this thought occurs to me again when I dare venture out for an errand and dressed in mismatched clothes, unshowered and splashed with spit up, I run into a friend who is fully dressed in the latest trends and I'm asked the loaded question of "how are you?"

Again, I think this thought when I am trying to hurry out the door of Mothers Morning Out with Wyatt (because I've left my infant in the air-conditioned car, running) and people are speaking to him, saying hello and he decides to NOT say hello, NOT be kind, NOT look at them.

Motherhood is SOOOOO messy. literally. I am covered in some sort of body fluid on a regular basis, I might shower every other day, my children might get a bath once a week, our car is messy, our floors are messy, and even the guidelines of discipline are MESSY.

BUT

My savior loves my messy children.

and my Savior loves messy me.

(by the way, I was just lovingly spat up upon by my Walker)

thank you Lord for these messy days. Thank you that I can rest in mess.

"He is before all things. And in Him all things hold together." - Colossians 1:17

8 comments:

Liz said...

Yes it is! Why do we ever expect anything else!? Praise God for loving messy us and being in control in the midst of us feeling so out of control.

TigerFamily said...

You make me laugh and bring a smile to my face. Our lives seem to be intertwined...must be the yougins around us:) At least by showering once in a blue moon we are doing our part to conserve water right? Your boys are precious and I love reading your thoughts:) m

Melissa said...

This is so great.

I know how much me and my single friends desire marriage and kids (which is wonderful and such a huge blessing) so it's good to be reminded it isn't easy (or clean and neat) and that there are things to be thankful for in each season and stage.

One day (hopefully) I will look back and I know I will miss only having to do laundry for myself, dishes for myself, and worrying about bathing only one person, so I better fully enjoy it while I have it!

DeAnn Tiller said...

So, so true! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one struggling to get a shower!

Jennie said...

I have never loved you more than now...reading this post. Perfect my Sage. So so so well put.

Courtney said...

fantastic insight and honesty.

and where did the amazing pictures come from on the right side of the blog?

Mary said...

i needed this post sage!

taiterg said...

sage, this was such and honest and loving post. thank you for that! you have encouraged me ;-)