Monday, March 16, 2009

Access to the Fruit




Has it every occurred to you that we (as believers in the Lord Jesus Christ) have access to the Fruits of the Spirits? All of them? All the time?

This has become strangely obvious to me in the last day or two.

I've been reading a great book (Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney) that has enlightened me in my marriage and my motherhood, and pushed me to model my own life after the wife and mother described Titus 2.

Diving into this book has also compelled me to dive into praying for my marriage. I can honestly say that I've not really prayed for my marriage in a while. So as I've been praying more about being a wife, I've therefore been reflecting a lot on me in my marriage.

And unfortunately, I've noticed some behaviors that do not bring glory to the Father, nor my husband. This sort of self reflection has made me aware of my "contrary spirit" that I sometimes have towards my husband. Sometimes I disagree, just to disagree. Or I'm difficult - not because I'm right, not because he's right, but because my sinful nature just wants to be contrary.

So in realizing this, (which was revolutionary in and of itself) that at times, when my husband comes home from a long day at work, I have such a contrary spirit. I, too, became fully aware that I can pray about that!

And even better, what if I prayed for a spirit of gentleness?
Before he came home from work?
Or what if I prayed for a spirit of
Joy?
patience?
kindness?
What might our dinner look like if I'm covered in goodness?

Oh, how inspired I am (once again by that comforting Word) at the thought of me choosing kindness over a contrary heart?

"Now the fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against these there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23

4 comments:

Mary said...

well said sage- and thanks for your encouragement and reminder to pray for my marriage- and my role as wife and mother-

miss you- hope to see you soon xoxo

Charissa said...

What honesty! Thanks for the reminder and encouragement to lay claim to that which is my right as His princess.

Erin :) said...

Sage...this post is GREAT!!:) We actually go to a Sovereign Grace Church which is the group of churches that Carolyn's husband, CJ, started. Do you read the girltalk blog? When I read Feminine Appeal it was seriously a turning point in our marriage...what a great book!!:) I am really enjoying getting to know you better through your blog...thanks so much!!:)

Courtney said...

thanks. i'm a little late reading this post, but its relavent to me today-on this day-nonetheless.