Saturday, October 3, 2009

Brothers/Trasition


I wasn't sure how this transition going to be for Wyatt and Walker. In addition to moving into a smaller space, a new city, etc. there were transitions the boys were going to have to endure. And me, being their mom, I was going to have to face the way(s) they would deal with the changes.

for one: they now share a room.
We dealt with many uneventful "naps" in the beginning. Where they'd laugh/giggle/make a mess of the room for 3 hours instead of sleeping. We learned the rules that we needed to establish, and the grace that we needed to give in order to make this good and fun. (they giggle for 30 minutes each night - and we're (i'm) now okay with that. they also nap in two different rooms.)
two: we no longer have a TV.
We will get one, at some point. But that was a transition I hadn't even really thought about. How much I loved having that wonderful box to entertain my kids when I showered, needed "my moment", prepared dinner, proved to be highly underrated. At first, it was very hard. I almost pulled my hair out a few times. And Wyatt asked ALL the time for videos.
But...eventually...they learned to entertain themselves and live life without it. And they've done well without it. And its much less of a problem than I had thought it would be.

three: they no longer have Mothers Morning Out 3 days a week from 9-12.
This was by far, my hardest of their transitions. It was hard on Wyatt, too. He was very bored in the beginning. And I didn't know much of anything for us to do. But we've learned where parks are, the library has designated "times" for Wyatt and Walker, I've joined a bible study where they play with other kids, and the biggest - they + me get to spend LOTS of quality (and not so quality some days) time together. We've also incorporated some bible time, learning time, room time and all that good stuff to make more of a structured schedule.
four: they have had to grow closer.
This was even hard and still is sometimes. Wyatt had his friends in Florence and didn't really "need" or even desire much time with his brother. But in Charlotte, Walker has been here for him in a way that is indescribable. He is his best bud - there with him - all the time - even while he sleeps. This transition has produced a sweet and brotherly love between them. I have had the pleasure of seeing it grow into a friendship. I just had no idea it would be this transition and these circumstances to produce the sweet fruit of brotherly love.

"He is before all things. And in Him all things hold together."
Colossians 1:17

1 comment:

Susan said...

This is precious to read about. I especially love the picture of Walker with his head back laughing/smiling.. and the one with Wyatt's arm around Walker- so sweet!