Monday, December 6, 2010

Can God Do All Things?


Q. Can God do all things?
A. Yes. God can do all His holy will.

This is one of several questions/answers Wyatt had to memorize for his sunday school class. We've been going over these after our family devotion time and I must say, it is sweet to hear his little voice answer these questions with confidence and truth.

Soooo...this particular truth came into play in a conversation he and I had today.

I had prayed for our lunch and added on at the end,
"Lord would you please help Brighty (our old dog) obey me by not coming onto the carpet."
(we are really trying hard to keep the carpet in a reasonable condition)

A good hour later, Wyatt and I are talking and Brighty walks right past me onto the carpet.
Me: Brighty! Off the carpet!

Wyatt: Well, I guess God didn't answer your prayer...

Me: oh, when I asked God to help Brighty obey? And not come on the carpet?

Wyatt: yes

Me: Well...what do you think that says about God?

Wyatt: (thinking) It must not be good for you.


I then had the opportunity to talk with my son about how good God is, even if what I ask, He doesn't give to me. He still has a good purpose in His answer.

(So even though my dog is a way that the Lord is sanctifying me, I will gladly endure in order for my child to grasp a correct view of our Sovereign Lord and not an incorrect one.)



1 comment:

Charissa said...

GOD is good, all the time! Hope we can take a chance to share catechism questions with our children at New Year's. I think it would be impactful for Catherine to see other children learning from their question book. Are you using Susan Hunt's Big Truth story book?
This story reminds me of Joseph's response to his brothers "What you intended for evil GOD intended for good"