Thursday, December 16, 2010

Giving



This morning I was awakened by Wyatt holding three flowers up to my cheek.
He did not know that I had overheard, just seconds earlier, him saying to Walker in a whisper "let's go surprise mommy!"

So when the flowers were literally in my face this morning, he said
"Mommy, we have something special for you!"

I was delighted. I gave the two proud, smiling, red-cheeked boys a big kiss and thanked them over and over again for their gift to me.

(My thoughts meanwhile were pondering where these sweet flowers had come from. the cold? (surely not! and surely they would not go outside disobediently)
- No. that wasn't it.

and then I realized...
where they had come from.

After Katey's wedding (pictures to come) Wes' mom gave us two of the bouquets to adorn our home with - sitting proudly in 2 little vases in our living room.

A sweet five year old "picked" them freshly just for me, his mommy.

Which explained why he said the following after he presented his gift...
"Mommy, I am giving you all that I CAN give you."

Now doesn't the heart behind the gift make every bit of difference?
Reminds me of the widow mentioned in Mark 12:41-44, who gave her "2 pennies" - all that she had- and how she was an example our Savior gave in how we should give -
she stood out far above the wealthiest givers.

Because while they gave from their excess - she gave from her heart.

"For they all contributed out of their abundance,
but she out of her poverty
has put in everything she had."
- Mark 12:44

**what a timely and tangible example the Lord woke me up to this day - in the season of "giving" - how I needed reminding of the heart in which I am to give (and receive) this Christmas.

No comments: