Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gentle Friend

For those of you who are close to me,
you know my relationship with Brighty has been
strained
since Wes and I have had children.
But.
As I have taken moments lately to watch this dog with my children.
I must say, he has been a faithful companion in our family.
When Wes and I have been frustrated with him, he has been patient.
He is gentle, in every way.
He lets our children tug, pull, squeeze and rid him.
He welcomes a petting.
I chuckle as I think back to when I was first pregnant with Wyatt and Wes and I read a book on boxers - and how they respond to their owners' babies...
"Boxers will admiringly look up at their owner with the new baby in arms."
That became a phrase I often remembered with each additional child we brought into our home.
Brighty truly is a guard dog. He acts instinctively to this end. In all circumstances.
With each baby we have brought home to our home.
I recall that his guard instincts "heighten" for a few weeks.
It truly is awesome and precious.
How did this furry animal become a part of the family?
I'm not quite sure. But nonetheless, he has.
As much as I've tried to fight his place here, he truly has been a loyal, faithful, kind companion to our household.
I apologize to all of my animal-loving friends. I mean no harm in any way, I am just not that much of a dog person. But I have come to a new place with Brighty.
And I'm thankful that he has remained a very good dog.
Truly. We could not have ever asked for a better animal.
Brighty was Wes' and I's first Christmas gift to one another.
9 years ago.
:)

4 comments:

Dirks said...

I didn't know you blogged...I'll be back!

Kayne and Thomas said...

You know we love some brighty!!!!

Kayne and Thomas said...

We love brighty!!

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness Sage, you sound just like me! I could've written this post about our Berkeley!! He was our first baby but now he frustrates me to no end! But every once in a while I realize how sweet and kind he is, and how much I take him for granted.

Love that little girl Lalla!! She is so adorable!