Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Renaissance Man




The term Renaissance Man is used to describe a person who is well educated or who excels in a wide variety of subjects or fields. It embodied the basic tenets of Renaissance which considered man empowered, limitless in his capacities for development, and led to the notion that people should embrace all knowledge and develop their capacities as fully as possible.

I often write about my children - what they say or do - because they are so easy to write about. I mean, you look at them and they say something or do a scrunchy nose face and its just obviously blog-worthy.

But for some reason, writing about my hubby doesn't come as easy - it feels more like bragging if I want to share something nice about him - or on other days, complaining. Just teasing - that never happens around here.

But as I've observed Wes over the past few weeks, I've noticed some things that are well, blog-worthy. Even if it does come across as bragging (which is not my intention at all), I just need for him to know and hopefully read, how overwhelmed I am by the person of Wes Andrews.

Sometimes, I get so into myself that it prohibits me from seeing the fullness of my husband. How he loves me, what he does for me, what he gives to me.

Since our little Walker came into this world in April (and the full "sleeping package" that came with him) I've had such time-management issues. Mostly due to sleep deprivation. For nearly 9 months, this cycle has continued and I've been overwhelmed (to say the very least) with household responsibilities balanced with basic survival needs for my children balanced with their emotional, academic and above all, spiritual needs. I've often just sat down on the couch, overwhelmed with what is the most pressing thing and defaulted to spending time with the children as a wise woman once told me "your children won't remember the dust bunnies on your floors, but they certainly will remember the time you spent with them." As glorious as that sounds on a blog, the reality is a messy house, and many household priorities...taking...forever...to accomplish.

I've probably carried on too much already about myself - but I needed to give a little background to set up this next part - that's about to get really good.

My Wesley, (i'm tearing up as I write this) took on full cooking responsibilities 9 months ago - and I mean, the full responsibilities - from planning each meal to every bit of the grocery shopping. He has completely taken over the kitchen responsibilities - leaving me worry-free in that area. Not having to think about dinner, not having to think about breakfast and many lunches in between. He has taken over with diligence and with much attention to detail - making sure, we, his family are fed well. He has does this with peace, with a smile on his face and often times, singing silly songs with Wyatt as he prepares, yet another meal. He has never complained and he's never asked me to take the responsibility back (even since Walker has been sleeping through the night). He has praised me for my other household duties and treasured that which I can/do for him.

And during this cooking season as an inspired chef, Wes has taken on several new hobbies, of which I've gladly been his guinea pig - he's made wine, roasted all sorts of coffee and began MAKING potato chips - sweet potato chips which are delicious. He is aspiring to make mozzarella cheese and some other items in the future.

And recently, as if his cooking responsibilities haven't been enough time-consuming, (again, tearing up) he took it upon himself to make most of Walker's babyfood. Boiling sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. then pureeing them and then filling many, many, MANY little jars. One. by. one. Never asking me to help. Never complaining.

And this morning - Wes had to be at church early. As I've often grunted in my heart at the thought of getting both boys ready all on my own - I stopped and saw clearly, just how much he's been helping even before he leaves - Wyatt's oatmeal had been made, was in the cooling process, Walker's food had been prepared and even my cereal, coffee and juice had been prepared.

Why has it taken me 9 MONTHS to see that I am married to a renaissance man? Why have my eyes failed to see how much he gives of himself for our little family? And who does that remind me of? It reminds me of a Man who gave himself sacrificially. Who modeled servant hood. Wes in many ways has been Jesus to me. "Jesus with skin on." - He has served me and our children selflessly. over. and over again. Oh how thankful I am for a man who seeks to help in any way that he can - and for his desire to excel in all that he does.

Father - may my eyes always see so clearly the gift of my husband. May my lips NEVER hold back the praise that is due to him. May my heart always feel compelled to share the fullness of him.
Thank you for him.
My renaissance man.

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her."
Ephesians 5:25

6 comments:

taiterg said...

now i'm all teary-eyed...

The Severances said...

Sage - What a great blog!! It is wonderful to "brag" on your hubby--so honoring to him and to the Lord. I loved reading about how he has stepped in to serve you in a major way--and enjoys it! That is wonderful. Now I am inspired to brag...I mean blog...about my hubby!

Jones Family said...

I'm teary eyed too...;) great and inspiring blog!

Kayne and Thomas said...

I am crying. That is so precious. I love how he just stepped in and started cooking for you and never complained. What a precious, precious gift your husband is to you.

amyop said...

Okay tears are running down my face now! Thanks for sharing! And Yes I can say those sweet potato chips are to die for!! Yumm....... As the mouth of a prego lady waters. lOVE YOU GUYS!

Liz said...

sweet post sage! I'm encouraged by your step to really brag on your hubby and show your thankfulness for how he loves his family. Love you!