Sunday, February 22, 2009

A New Schedule = A Happy Momma



After my "Renaissance Man" post, a friend emailed me some really helpful ideas to help a busy mommy with her kid(s).

I made reference in the post about having time-management difficulty and she felt compelled to share of some ways that have helped shaped her days to be much more efficient.

Well.

I had no idea how it would help to shape mine up, too.

These are some of the things that I've tried.
All of which have worked beautifully.

After breakfast,
Bible time (Wyatt and mommy read our bibles for 15 minutes in quiet)
While I really read, Wyatt flips through his picture bible. The really cool thing in addition to his complete silence during that time, is that he's asked questions each day when that time is complete. So it's been neat to talk about the Lord more. Also - it starts our day off correctly, reading from God's word. And to get Wyatt in the pattern of beginning his day reading the Word - hopefully for life.

Room Time (while Walker is napping, Wyatt goes to his room and plays for an hour - with some music playing the whole time. When the cd stops, he is free to come out.) After three days of this, HE LOVES IT! (nice opp for me to get some things done)

Rug Time Wyatt can play with three toys (usually a book, a puzzle and a toy of some kind) for 30 minutes while listening to music or a bible story. He has to be quiet during this time. (the purpose of being quiet is to practice listening only) I've been floored at how he has done this with no problem. The most challenging of all his puzzles, he's been able to do miraculously on his own during this time. (again, this allows me to get some things done)

Walker/Wyatt time - they play with Walker's toys and practice sharing - they can laugh, talk, etc. - usually they listen to some music. - this is usually for 30 minutes

Mommy/Wyatt time - during Walker's naptime - we do something special today - a craft, or learning letters. He's really enjoyed this and learned so many letters in only 3 days!

These are the few that I've tried - which have gone over real well. There are others I'm going to try. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've achieved during this down time - and how much more obedient Wyatt has been. I believe he has needed some quiet time - to not talk. His love tank seems to be full - and his needs seem to be met almost fully - and therefore, he has been a happy, obedient, delightful child!

4 comments:

Cayce said...

What great ideas! Your post challenged me to be more intentional in our time at home. I checked out Charlotte's Web from the library over the weekend and today we read aloud Chapter 1 before naptime. Hopefully this will start a new routine....thank you for the push to get intentional!!

Erin :) said...

Hello Sage!!:) I love this post...your explanations are great, and I am so glad to hear it is going so well!!:) Talk to you soon!!:)

amyop said...

What great ideas! Just in time for a mommy of 2! Thanks to you and your friend!

Rebecca said...

LOVE IT!! we already do the 1 hr quiet time ( which has worked WONDERFULLY for us!) but I totally plan on incorporating several of your ideas- thanks soo much for being vulnerable and sharing your life!!