Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Peter



Peter. He gives me hope.
He was different before Jesus was crucified and resurrected.
Don't get me wrong. He had glimpses of being lead by the Holy Spirit (such as is recorded in the passage below).
And he had his moments of being left to his sin nature. Where he was a disgrace. A true sinner. Like me.
I am Peter.
I struggle with the same things he did. He loved Jesus. He doubted. He wanted more. He denied Him. Sounds so familiar.
And yet, what hope Peter gives me.
Because when we study Peter, we get to see his life prior Christs death and resurrection and we get to see his life post the death and resurrection.
And Peter was CHANGED. He was different after Jesus was resurrected.

And its in this passage that Jesus begins to tell of what will become of the CHANGED Peter. I just love this passage from Matthew 16:

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples,

"Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied,

"Some say John the Baptist;

others say Elijah;

and still others, Jeremiah

or one of the prophets."

"But what about you?" he asked.

"Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter answered,

"You are the Christ,

the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.

And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Wow.

I also love Peter's speech to the Jews in Acts 3:17-24 where the beginnings of what Jesus refers to above is displayed in Peter.

To study Peter is to gain hope!

1 comment:

amyop said...

Thanks for sharing! That has lifted my spirits today!