Tuesday, November 30, 2010

20 Minutes in a Mom's Life


I sat down to nurse my daughter and in twenty minutes time...

I had to stop nursing my infant in order to discipline my demanding 2 year old
all the while washing a car seat cover that was tee-tee'd on on the way home
while there were shrimp that needed to be peeled now in order to serve dinner in a timely manner that were waiting for a free moment from me (when will that be? after the nursing...)
while I'm realizing that my infant daughter needed a diaper change, (as said diaper contents are spilling onto me) so therefore she also needed an outfit change... and consequently I did...as...well...
seeing the dog had chewed up one of the children's trios (again)
burped my daughter, who then graciously spat up on me...all down my shirt...
and my two year old required discipline again (which means, stop nursing in order to take care of it and endure a hungry Lalla cry)
still the shrimp sat and waited for me to peel them, (the clock is ticking)...
and my four year old needed something that has been placed on a shelf too high

Doing each and every one of these tasks is by no means unimportant. There are legitimate needs every day that need to be met. This mommyhood stuff is dying to self in the most realistic and tangible way I've ever experienced. (Thankfully, and consequently, to work of sanctification enables a believer to die to sin more and more).

The gospel is music to my needy, worn-out mommy's ears. It is the medicine for my soul. It is THE reason I am in these trenches I jump into each day. Not the kind with weapons and uniforms but the kind with spit up stains and messy floors.

It is my duty and it is my privilege and my humble responsibility to love my kids, take care of them, clean up their vomit and train them how to obey. It is my calling and it is my pleasure to instruct them in obedience and to train them how to use the potty. All while humbly relying on the Lord through His spirit to supply. They see my weaknesses. They hear my asking them for forgiveness (when I'm humble enough to ask for it). They are my little treasure-hunters in which I get to share the greatest Jewel with.

Because I know that Jewel.
And that Jewel is fulfilling, forgiving and foreseeing.
They are my little beggars in which I (also a beggar)
endure the calling of showing them
where to find the Bread.

Recently these words from Ephesians have resonated with me in the mundane, daily tasks of my life:

"I, therefore, a prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called." Ephesians 4:1

I am encouraged and inspired by these words. Yes I will fail, but something really clicks as I glance back over these 20 minutes.
I am doing what I'm called to do.
I desire to grow in this role greatly.
I have much room to become better and to improve.
Or really is to become more weak, messy and ultimately just...less...so that He can become more?

Consistently I land in the place where I am humbly relying on the Lord in order to achieve the tiniest of duties.
But I am here.
In my calling.
And I'm thankful that the Lord has placed me here.
With three souls that scream out for Jesus.
May I walk worthy of my calling.

1 comment:

rita and andy said...

what a gift you are to us and your sweet family. blessed by you dear sister!