Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grace


I've had conversations with my girlfriends about teaching our children Grace. My friend Liz even shared a time where she extended grace to Carson instead of punishment (of which I've adopted a time or two). Another friend, Courtney and I've discussed this - and pondered together over what this might look like in our homes.

Well.

As God's providence would have it.
I had no idea what kind of living, breathing example I would have to experience grace in my home...

Walker was going to be baptized in our church (will discuss my love for this practice in another blog.)

A loving friend, Margaret Lynn, allowed me to borrow a beautiful christening gown. I did not have one of my own for my kids so I thankfully accepted the temporary gift. The gown is beautiful, made so delicately and has had the tradition of being worn in a baptism by each of her four children, as well as cousins in the family. The slip even has each of their initials stitched in the side.

The gown hung on the canopy of my bed two days before Walker was to be baptized. Long story short. In a burst of energy, left unmonitored in our room, Wyatt ripped it from one beautiful sleeve to the other.

After he was punished, we had a L-O-N-G conversation with him about the value of the gown, the devastating consequences that his poor choice had had on this gown. "It wasn't ours!" I tried to convey to him. He seemed to get it. And he understood that he would have to explain to Mrs. Margaret Lynn what had happened to her beloved gown.

I, too, knew that I would have to have a conversation with her. It would be painful. I had no idea what I would say. Needless to say, I weeped as I told her of what we did to her gown.

"It's a piece of cloth," she lovingly said to me. followed by the gracious words of our Savior, which were:
"Store up your treasures in heaven where moths and rust do not destroy."

"Well," I proceeded to tell her. "This is how we're going to make it right," I listed several things I was going to do which included having it repaired (by a professional) and purchase a new one for her.

"Absolutely not," she said.
I begged her to let me buy her a new one.
"You can't replace it," she said. "It costs hundreds of dollars."
"I won't take a new one from you," she said.

"Well...will you please forgive us," I sheepishly asked her.
"There's nothing to forgive, Sage," Margaret Lynn said.
But that was not enough for me. I had such a hard time believing this was worthy of forgiveness.
"Will you just say the words to me," I begged her with tears in my eyes.

She smiled and then said very lovingly,
"I Forgive You, Sage."

Later that week I explained to Wyatt that we needed to return the christening gown to the store.
"The one that I tore?" Wyatt carefully asked me.
"Actually, no, honey. It's the new one I tried to replace. But Margaret Lynn will not accept it. She has forgiven us. And given us...grace."
"Just like God?" Wyatt asked.

BINGO

"Yes, Wyatt. Just like God."

5 comments:

Our4GreatKids said...

I always learn so much from reading your blog... thank you for sharing this...

Liz said...

I knew it would go well! Praise God for showing His marvelous grace to us through people like her! What a great lesson for your Wyatt too. I'm glad you shared this!

Charissa said...

Thanks for sharing how you handled the situation. I saw grace practiced today when my brother had told his children that they had to clean their plates to get their treat, then he let his son eat raw carrots instead of soft cooked carrots. Not quite the grace that Margaret Lynn modeled. Oh, that we would live in grace more often - to be "like Jesus" Thanks for being real!

Bran said...

beautiful!!!

Kayne and Thomas said...

Wow, I didn't even know that happened. I am so sorry. What a sweet lady Margaret Lynn is. She definitely has displayed grace that we can all learn from. Thanks for sharing.