Sunday, January 9, 2011

Kingdom


Wyatt and Walker have been playing kingdom around our house for the past few days.

They've declared:
themselves as royal guards,
Brighty as the royal dog,
Lalla as the princess,
yours truly as the Queen
and their father as the King.

So, imagination has become quite enjoyable for the entire family. In the past their little imaginations have declared us many things including animal parents, pirate parents, Sound of Music parents, big brother and big sister, various super heroes, zoo keepers, pet owners, monsters, bad guys, Narnia characters, biblical characters, police officers, trashmen, school teachers, students, their children, their pets, etc.

But I must say, it is nice to be referred to as the Queen.
And for a few days.
I am not in any way ready to retire this game.

The other day when their father was making pancakes I overheard the 2 year old guard asked the 5 year old guard, "what is our king doing?"

the older guard without looking into the kitchen said, "he's making our royal pancakes"

hmmmmmm.

While I do love to listen in on their imaginary play, and sometimes participate (even if I have said that I can't because I'm cooking dinner and my child says, 'you can just be the dogs' mom who is cooking dinner'), it is fun to be included and witness their minds fabricating made up worlds and made up characters with made up scenarios.

But something really gets me excited about playing kingdom. It is the very fact that I belong to a kingdom. Where my father is the King of all Kings. And where He sits on His throne as ruler and Maker, as the Most High. I am a part of His kingdom because of the payment He made for me with His blood. By which He not only pardoned all of my sin, but also declared me righteous as a child of His. His daughter, a princess.

Walker, in all this kingdom play sometimes comes to me with his sweet voice and says,
"Mommy, you be the princess of the whole world."

While it melts my heart to hear those sweet words come out of his mouth with that sweet face of his and those sweet eyes, it is not true that I am princess of the whole world.
But I surely belong to the King of the whole world.
Who not only rules it. But also made it.
I am His and He is mine.
And I belong to His kingdom.

No comments: