Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Your Word is a Lamp for my Feet...


...and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105

For a long time, I have loved the Word of God.
Even before my heart belonged to Jesus, I was intrigued by His Word.
It drew me in.

"How sweet are Your words to my taste. Sweeter than honey to my mouth." Psalm 119:103

I loved hearing His Word.
I heard it quoted many times from my father.
He would speak the perfect words in very appropriate situations -
perfect words being from the bible.
And I just. loved. that.
Perfect words.
They often times left me speechless.

"I have more insight than all my teachers. For I meditate on Your statutes." Psalm 119:99

I would see my dad rise early in the morning to read God's word.
Every. single. morning.
That daily discipline for nearly 30 years has produced a man who has read the bible 20+ times.
Cover to cover.
I've asked my dad what is the single most important thing
he's gathered from reading the Word of God so many times and his reply:
"that I long to know more about the Lord."

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law." Psalm 119:18

God's Word keeps me longing for more.
The more I memorize in my heart.
The more I long to know.

"How I long for your precepts! In Your righteousness preserve my life." Psalm 119:40

When my circumstances are hectic.
(which they are)
God's Word is my foundation.
When my faith is shaky
(which it is)
God's Word is my cornerstone.
When my heart leads me astray.
(which it does)
God's Word guides me.

"I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:11

Since Lalla was born my life has felt out of control in many ways.
A child always needing me.
Not having enough hands to meet the needs of my young children.
Not having enough time in the day to manage my household the way that it needs.
Not having enough love on my own to give my children.

"For I delight in Your commands because I love them." Psalm 119:47

I will always fall short of the perfect wife and the perfect mom.
Which drives me to God's Word.
Where I find hope.
Where I find answers.
Where I find insight.
Where I find truth.
Where I find Jesus.

"I remember Lord your ancient law and I find comfort in them." Psalm 119:52

God's Word points me to Jesus.
My Savior.
My substitute.
My sin-bearer
My Forgiver
My Lord.
My King.
My Righteousness.

"My comfort in my suffering is this. Your promise preserves my life." Psalm 119:50

A friend approached me a few months ago about memorizing some scripture together.
I had memorized a verse here or there in order to have on hand.
But I had never taken on what she was proposing.
To memorize chapters!

"My soul faints with longing for your salvation,
but I have put my hope in Your word." Psalm 119:81

We began with Ephesians 4.
We started out gentle - memorizing a few each week.
The task was bigger than she or I could achieve.
But we aspired to do it.
And we often felt encouraged at our progress.
As we'd see direct application in our lives from the words we were planting in our hearts.
We spoke on the phone Thursdays to hear each other recite what we had learned.
After a few weeks, we'd memorized all 32 verses of Ephesians 4.

"Your laws endure to this day for all things serve you." Psalm 119:91

Now we've begun Ephesians 5.
We have memorized the first 10 verses.
And memorizing has become easier.
When I'm trying to go to sleep.
When I awake in the middle of the night.
When I'm in the shower.
When I'm nursing.
When I'm cleaning.
I. think. about. these verses.

"In the night Lord I remember Your name that I may keep your law." Psalm 119:55

When I'm angry.
When I'm being difficult.
When I'm impatient.
I'm reminded. of. these. verses.

"I gain understanding from your precepts. Therefore I hate every wrong path." Psalm 119:104

We have plans for many more chapters.
We'll see where this takes us.
But hopefully, most importantly,
how we glorify the Lord with His Word written in our hearts.

"My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end." Psalm 119:112

2 comments:

rita and andy said...

thanks sage for the great post! so happy for you girls! i heard about this in the early stages, had no clue that yall had worked on the entire chapter!!! what an inspiration.

Charissa said...

Nice writing - very encouraging. What a great way to get my mid-day "word". I have enjoyed the hand motions Minnemie put to the beginning of Ephesians as a prompt and reminder. "What is impossible with man is possible with GOD" Luke 18:27 He will honor this committment you guys have made by stimulating your memory ability!