Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Two Doozies in One Minute



One day Wes was in our living room listening to Romans on cd.
(He is taking a class in which its required to read it several times.
He often reads it and listens to it on cd at the same time.)

The narrator read the passage in Romans 9 where it says:
"The older will serve the younger.
Just as it is written:
'For Jacob I loved and Esau I hated.'"

Wyatt, (who is nearby playing with play dough) stops suddenly and says:

"Did you hear that?
He said 'for Jacob I loved and Esau I hated?
Did God really say that?
Did he... hate Esau?"

I am changing Lalla's diaper at this moment and am about to begin this journey with him but then look at Wes and say,
"Wyatt, that's a great question for Daddy."

Wes, had already stopped the cd.
He was gathering his thoughts and just beginning to answer

when

Wyatt (noticing me changing Lalla's diaper) says:
"Daddy, when is Lalla going to get her p*nis?"

I look up at Wes.
He says to me, "which would you prefer me answer right now?"
I say, the second perhaps?

So Wes tells Wyatt to wait on the couch.

(while he's waiting on Wes I say to Wyatt,
"Daddy is going to cover your bible time and learning time right now")

He went upstairs to where a certain book has been waiting on top of our armoire for this specific moment.
The book is called "The Story of Me"
Its the first book in a series of 4.
The first book is recommended for ages 3-5.
I purchased it about a year and a half ago but Wyatt's questions for this particular subject just haven't warranted a real need for this type of explanation until today.

They had a very sweet time of questions and answers - and Wyatt had many questions - it took him a while to get there but by the time they finished he had a full understanding afterwards that his little sister would never in fact have a male part, and that is God's design.

Now we just need to answer his other question...

4 comments:

Mary said...

SAGE! i love it- thankful that Wes was there- it makes me smile that you captured the honesty of our little ones life questions so realistically!

Lindsay said...

adam and i just laughed HYSTERICALLY at this blog post - i can totally picture it - love love your kiddos - was also remembering something else wyatt has said about these things before... so funny!

amyop said...

I so enjoyed this post! I will have to remember the book when my boys get a little older:) Miss you !

TigerFamily said...

I've got to find those books! I remember the day we started that conversation with the boys! Now Miss Priss is starting to venture there and she is not even 3 yet! Just the other day she told us "I want to be a daddy when I grow up"....."but I don't have my P*n*s yet". OK....great...wonderful...here we go! Then what came out of her mouth next all but knocked me over. (We have been talking with the kids a lot lately about saving, giving and spending. We save our money to buy something we would like.) So she very confidently says "I need to save my money so I can buy a p*n*s ". OH. MY. WORD! Bless her heart she has been listening to our save our money talks....looks like it's time for the this is how God created us talk:) Will be looking for those books soon! Oh, the things kids say!